Tuesday, January 13, 2015

A Dogs Life in New Jersey

Expat Life - Dogs


Having lived in New Jersey for over ten years and watched our children grow up to be 10 and 12, this family home is about to extend itself by 4 feet. Our Black Labrador puppy is moving in with us on Presidents weekend.

As I didn't grow up with dogs this has been quite an adventure to get to this point. However if you are bringing your pet to USA you can be sure they will have a great time. The streets in my town are tree- lined and there are plenty of parks where I can go and play ball with our pup.

Also, the South Mountain Reservation where I currently walk with my friends and their dogs, is just a 3 minute drive from me. (Or a 15 minute walk!) You can stay on the tarmac path or take one of the many trials throughout the woodland. On a clear day we can see the Empire State Building in Manhattan!



PETSMART and PETCO are two of the largest chain pet stores in this area for all your needs, food, crates, leashes.

There are Shelters looking to find homes for dogs and cats if you are unable to bring your pet to the USA. Many friends have had success through St Huberts where you can also do puppy kindergarten! My daughter has read every book out the library on how to train your puppy but I am looking forward to having some professional guidance to supplement her teachings!

BRING FIDO - I have found this website very useful. It details places you can take your dog for trips. Here is their link for dogs and airfare information http://www.bringfido.com/travel

Before you bring your dog from UK etc to USA you must make sure the dog complies with all the health regulations. Follow the UK Government's link for details: Pets abroad

Should you need a dog walker etc it seems there are a never ending supply of private walkers and doggie daycares and boarding kennels to suit your taste.

Should you wish to take them to the seaside there are a number of pet-friendly beaches down the Jersey Shore. Dog beaches NJ I am looking forward to playing on the beach with my pup!


Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed

No comments:

Post a Comment